The management of solid waste produced during the operation of the refinery, is founded on an integrated process that covers all stages of the life cycle of refinery waste, from its collection, packaging, labelling, transport, processing (where necessary), temporary storage, and its final exploitation or disposal via one of the following alternative means:
- recycling outside the refinery,
- recovery inside /outside the refinery,
- final disposal outside the refinery,
- processing within the refinery and
The main objectives of the solid waste management programme are the:
- source reduction of the wastes ,
- sorting at source to hazardous and non-hazardous waste wherever possible,
- maximum utilisation, so far as possible, prior to final disposal, through recycling, or re-use, or recovery of useful components, or regeneration and finally,
- safe transportation and final disposal without putting at risk human health or the environment.
The final disposal of solid waste is achieved by officially licensed companies, qualified for the transportation, further treatment or disposal of the specific type of waste
- The management of special waste materials like waste packaging, old electrical and electronic equipment, used batteries and accumulators, as well as used vehicle tyres, and vehicles at the end of their life is taking place using licenced waste treatment companies.